Wednesday, October 14, 2009

On Mercedario at 21,000'

On Mercedario at 21,000'

The birds do not sing up here where the cold
rolls drifts of confidence into frozen
moments of indecision. Here the black-
suited crows tighten their feathered belts
like silent pallbearers, waiting to lift
bits flesh up from the dead bodies before
the chill makes the meat immortal. Here they
crowd together, measuring the distance
between our energy and exhaustion
while we struggle to puncture the white horizon.

I watch their hunkered huddle, wondering
if they've been fed since the last Incan offering
ascended these slopes centuries ago.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I have no idea where Mercedario is, but your...what are those things called? The things in writing with "like" preceding them? Yeah...I love those kinds of things. I will emulate you, but I will NOT climb a damned 21,000 foot mountain.
    Seriously, "...the cold rolls drifts of confidence into frozen moments of indecision." Exquisite. And other beautiful lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that line too. The assonance freezes on my tongue.

    ReplyDelete