Tuesday, November 3, 2009

In The Outhouse

In The Outhouse

My old man pukes a gallon of stale beer
then wipes his mouth
with a scrap of newsprint.

Mama reads the Real Estate section
and tries to imagine living in a house
with a porcelain toilet.

Whitey jerks off
while staring
at a lingerie ad.

Sara scans a theater review
and attempts to project herself
onto a stage where drama
doesn't leave bruises.

Eddie fingers a knothole
and reads last week's comics
before using them to wipe his butt.

And I search the empty night sky
beyond the wind-ripped roof,
struggling to make some sense
of the poem I've just written.

1 comment:

  1. I'm laughing. When I read this I HAVE to assume I do not know the author; then it begins to ring.
    I like everything except the last two lines. Is that nihilism?
    I am trying to make some sense of the comment I've just written :(
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete