Monday, November 2, 2009

Redecorating Your Amygdala

Redecorating Your Amygdala

I think I'll sneak inside your head
and run down the narrow corridors
of the cerebral cortex to the
trapdoor into your hippocampus

If I can find the tattered map you've
hidden there, I'm sure it will guide me
toward the cluttered room that holds
the heaped debris of your memory.

I'll dance across the trail of dendrites
to the rotting door of the dusty closet
where you threw my picture after you
yanked it off your mnemonic wall.

In a new frame, my grinning image
will look perfect properly rehung
smack in the center of your amygdala
where I know you can't ignore it.

Then I'll slip out the back like a lost
thought and stand by your front door.
I can't wait to see the look on your face
when your return home.

2 comments: